Top-Tier Trial Lawyers
For Catastrophic Personal Injury Cases

What non-economic damages can you claim after a car accident?

On Behalf of | Mar 19, 2023 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

In addition to the economic damages you can claim after a crash, such as medical bills and property damage, you can also recover non-economic damages. These damages refer to the non-monetary losses or harm arising from your injuries.

Non-economic damages are a significant part of your compensation package. Therefore, it helps to learn more about them before filing your car accident claim to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.

Common types of non-economic damages

You can claim damages for the pain and suffering you endured after the crash. This includes physical pain and emotional distress, such as anxiety and trauma. In some cases, pain and suffering can be significant and long-lasting, impacting an individual’s quality of life.

You can also recover damages for the loss of enjoyment of life caused by your injuries. It refers to the inability to engage in activities you previously enjoyed before the accident. For example, if you enjoyed playing sports before the accident but can no longer do so due to injuries sustained in the accident, you may be able to claim loss of enjoyment of life damages.

A spouse or family member can claim damages for loss of consortium. It refers to the deprivation of companionship, intimacy, and support that your spouse or family member experiences due to the accident. This can include the loss of the ability to engage in activities together, such as hobbies or travel.

Get an informed assessment of your claim

You can claim other non-economic damages not listed above, depending on the extent and severity of your injuries. Remember, your damages will determine the compensation due to you or, in other words, the value of your claim.

It can be tragic to learn that you settled your claim without a complete picture of what you were entitled to in compensation. Therefore, if you are unsure of the damages you can claim, non-economic or otherwise, it is prudent to have proper guidance to help you.